By Richard Bauman
- A attention-grabbing viewpoint on intertextuality: the concept written and spoken texts converse to each other, e.g. via style or allusions.
- Presents a chain of ethnographic case stories to demonstrate the topic.
- Draws on a large diversity of oral performances and literary documents from around the world.
- The author’s creation units a framework for the research of style, practice and intertextuality.
- Shows how performers mix genres, e.g., telling tales approximately riddles or legends approximately magical verses, or developing revenues pitches.
Read Online or Download A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality PDF
Best folklore & mythology books
The good vintage of Atlantis, this booklet greater than the other verified the lifestyles of this misplaced continent for the trendy international. Attracting thousands of readers and stimulating great debate, it prompted generations of individuals together with numerous scientists who went directly to do severe paintings of their fields, and various science-fiction writers.
Panorama is a strong consider the operation of reminiscence end result of the institutions narrators make among the neighborhood panorama and the occasions of the tales they inform. Ancestors and mythological occasions frequently develop into mounted in a particular panorama and act as undying reference issues. In traditional anthropological literature, "landscape" is the time period utilized to the which means local community bestow on their cultural and actual atmosphere.
This new English translation of the Faroe-Islander Saga (Faereyinga saga)—a nice medieval Icelandic saga—tells the tale of the 1st settlers on those wind-swept islands on the fringe of the Scandinavian global. Written through an nameless 13th-century Icelander, the saga facilities at the enduring animosity among Sigmundur Brestirsson and Thrandur of Göta, rival chieftains whose sour disagreements at the creation of Christianity to the Faroe Islands set the level for a lot violence and a feud which then unfolds over generations in their descendants.
Mythology isn't really in regards to the prior. The earlier is what’s in the back of us and that’s no longer the place mythology particularly exists. the large daddy of mythology hails from old Greece—and no matter if we comprehend it or now not, Greek mythology impacts the western global of at the present time. when you have ever noticeable the Atlantic Ocean, in the event you love the wonders of stargazing, if you’ve dreamed of being within the Olympics, or made connection with Pandora’s Box—then you've been stimulated via Greek mythology.
- Herakles (Gods and Heroes of the Ancient World)
- The Dragon of Wantley - His Rise, His Voracity and His Downfall - A Romance
- The Complete King Arthur: Many Faces, One Hero
- Desi Divas: Political Activism in South Asian American Cultural Performances
Extra info for A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality
A World of Others' Words: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Intertextuality by Richard Bauman